Monday, June 4, 2012

Double stacked!

Just this weekend I finally tackled a project I've been wanting done for over a year now.  I built my midi keyboard into my desk!
Before
I had an old piece of scrap wood left over from building my desk and marked it's dimensions to cut according to my existing pull-out shelf I already have installed for my computer keyboard and mouse and Wacom tablet.

Dremmelled off the left piece of plastic casing so that I could mount it onto the shelf.  the PCB board with the midi and usb connections had to be mounted directly to the shelf (a good idea would have been to get plastic washers/spacers to keep from potentially warping or cracking the board) and good judgement was enough to keep it screwed in tight enough.


After mounting the electronics on the shelf board and carving out a section for the wheels to operate I moved on to making a template for the holes I would need to drill to get the keyboard to set into.
Making hole template with taped up paper.
I found the easiest way to get an accurate template is actually just placing the paper over the keyboard where the screw stands are and aligning the 2 edges I would want to be accurately representing where I would place it on the shelf.  Then, making sure not to move the paper, use the screws from the screw stands to punch through the paper and screw them in completely, holding the paper in place. 
Mounting the keyboard, the carved out area is for the PCB mounted under the keys.
After several drillings later, going sequentially larger on the drill bits until I could get the screw stands to sit down in the holes comfortably, I moved on to finishing the mounting. 

Not the prettiest mod in the world, but it gets the job done!  Also, under the desk I mounted some wire holder brackets to keep the cables off the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please keep comments relevant to topic.