Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Training old dogs!

While I've been away. I've somewhat managed to start working on the video blog.  I've settled on a format that needs heavy narration.  I've also started learning After Effects to spruce up some of the video blog titling and give it some flare. 

After Effects is it's own little beast of a program but needlessly overcomplex.  A lot of the stuff I'm used to doing in "real" 3d engines like 3d Studio Max they try to emulate and mimic and I can understand the point of view of the program: it's a compositing package.  But all of the 2.5d tools (as I like to refer to it as) feel super clunky. 

I need some serious help / training.  What I'd like to do is that super-cool, super-advanced vector grunge motion graphics one might see on, well... any commercial stuff nowadays (it certainly is in demand).  Here's my vector graphics I've imported so far from Illustrator to work with


Those spiral flourishes are going to be a pain, as I'd like them to do the "grow" motion that's so typical.  Right now it's a single layer imported in because inside that illustrator document layer is a couple thousand layers that make up all the individual spirals, large and small.  Anyone have any suggestions, quick tricks, plugins referrals, etc... those would be much appreciated!

I'm taking a quick break to write this because I realized I wanted my own special background for my blog.  Okay, that's much better :)

And now... back to the video blog.  Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Did you create this image with the yellow and black or is this borrowed? Looks pretty nice either way..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The speakers were easy to design, the guitar I vectorized from a reference photo, and the spirals were made with some custom symbols and the symbol sprayer tool.

    ReplyDelete

please keep comments relevant to topic.